Sunday, September 30, 2012

What a rainy day will do to delude you into trying creativity

I be back...once again. Now that I have a pretty good chance of not having contracted the Hantavirus in Yosemite, I suppose it is time to start living again. Not that what I was doing before was really living. Working, sleeping and reading some in between.

Today it is a rainy day in Montreal and Jocelyne is off studying for her course in art therapy. I have just finished up converting our extra room, my old den of sorts, into a studio like atmosphere for her to do her work. Of course, sitting there gathering dust is my marionette theatre. There have been some awfully long absences from my attempts to make this morality play with spaghetti on the side. So now that the room is clean and kind of set up for creativity. I thought I could give it another try. Likely to fail but rainy days will do it to you.

So I need to start thinking about the opening sequence again. Trick is I needed to set up some type of pulley system to open my God cloud doors so he can give his instructions to Death to go to earth and summon the Everyman to his reckoning. Also, I need to have my narrator that I posted so long ago make his intro. Also, had to begin renovating the lighting system that had not been fired up all these years.

But it worked. Here is some proof:


Seems like it is ready to role actually. will need my trusty apprentice Jocelyne to help me with this one. While filming in front and doing some of that manipulation they talk about in puppetry, Jocelyne will need to part the clouds. I hook up a piece of thread from the clouds to a sewing machine bobbin on the arms of my house lighting:

The bobbin is connected the cloud apparatus and as the thread pulls through this first pulley it goes to the back of the theatre where it threads through a second bobbin and then on to the round drum with a really cool handle. Not really. When anyhow, each side is thread on the drum in the opposite direction so when you turn the handle the clouds are drawn in their respectful directions and opens.








Remember this video of the clouds parting?


Not bad for a first attempt. Practice makes better I always said. I will get it down, teach my able assistant the technique and then we will part dem clouds. I used fishing line the first time and you can hear the result. Carpet thread is silent but then again I would take out any sound and lay over a soundtrack using the Mac audio and movie editing program.

Of course developing a Spaghetti Western Morality play requires me to get back into the mood and do some research. Good thing I want to be Jimmy Steward these days. I rented two of his classics, A Bend in The River and Winchester 73, a crowd favorite. I will have to do me some research on how these darker characters played by the aw-shucks Jimmy Steward of a few years earlier. Anthony Mann appears to have something to do with this. This is the early to mid 1950's, not far away from Sergio but apparently a big influence on him and his invention of the anti-hero hero of our meatball classics from Spain. 

Nothing like a good western to get those creative juices going. See you around town soon. Lament