Friday, April 06, 2018

Jiří Trnka Stop Motion Puppetry

I get a lot of puppetry stuff coming across my newsfeed on Facebook. I was especially lucking this morning to see that there is a film retrospective on the work of Jiri Trnka, Czech Animation Master. Montreal is a long way from NYC so I Googled some of his work. This YouTube link below is to a short documentary of his amination.

Since I will be working only on short parts of my spaghetti western and putting it on iMovie it will be sort of a stop motion animation film. So I enjoyed his work and learning more about him. Here is some reference material. Enjoy



Jiri Trnka 24 February 1912 – 30 December 1969) was a Czech puppet maker, illustrator, motion-picture animator and film director. In addition to his extensive career as an illustrator, especially of children’s books, he is best known for his work in animation with puppets, which began in 1946. Most of his movies were intended for adults and many were adaptations of literary works. Because of his influence in animation, he was called "the Walt Disney” of Eastern Europe", despite the great differences between their works. He received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal for illustrators in 1968, recognizing his career contribution to children's literature.